There are SO many layers to this listener’s story, it’s incredible!
For one, when Eric T was at uni, he was paid a little “classroom visit” by, get this… sleek Spruikers in their fancy Armani suits who not only tried to SELL online courses to the students, but also GROOMED and recruited some of them as their next get-rich-quick protégé!!
Thankfully, today’s guest listener had the foresight to decline. Which, to be quite honest, was super lucky as he was already – in his own words – “highly suggestible and easily influenced by these quick rich shames and educators wearing their $700 slip on loafers, their $20,000 Rolex watches, expensive European sports cars and their 68 properties!”
Plus, while all this was happening, Eric’s partner sensed he was going down the wrong path and one day shoved a book under his nose – low and behold it was The Armchair Guide to Property Investing!
BUT – how’s this for a story that keeps on giving! – he first didn’t read it ‘cos he thought our book was complete rubbish… as we weren’t standing on the hood of a Rolls Royce! 😂
“Who were these two blokes sitting on a couple of couches and smiling with no bling or swagger?”
Fast forward to today and, well, here we are interviewing Eric.
But like we said… there are SO many layers to this story, and we can assure you this isn’t even HALF of it!!
Just wait to you hear what money was like for Eric as a kid!!
Let’s just say… he didn’t step foot into a restaurant until he was 19!
In a nutshell: This really is one ride of an episode folks… and Eric’s stories and pure wisdom will leave you wanting more!
Free Stuff Mentioned
- FREE eBook– Make Money Simple Again
- Take our Survey– What do YOU want to hear about on The Couch?! (only takes 7 minutes to complete)
- Sign Up For FREE To MyWealth Portal & Start Your Financial Transformation Today!(includes Money SMARTS, Money FIT + Money STRETCH) Click here or simply fill in the form at the bottom of this page
- Episode 219 | How going from 30 properties to Bankruptcy shaped this riches to rags… and back again story! Chat with Julie Ann Cairns
What We Cover…
- 03:46 – Eric’s Money Backstory (wow!)
- 05:14 – Wait… never been to a restaurant until he was 19!?!
- 07:53 – What was it like seeing his parents work so hard?
- 08:55 – Has his parents’ scarcity mindset shifted?
- 10:49 – Why Australia really is the Lucky Country…
- 12:24 – What was it like to go to a restaurant for the first time??
- 13:58 – How to put the cost of things into context…
- 14:53 – When Eric first started earning money, what was he doing with it?
- 16:02 – How Social Pressures Dictate How We Spend Our Money
- 17:25 – When parents make your clothes…
- 18:40 – What was the spark that made Eric consider property investing?
- 20:13 – How quickly did Eric’s parents pay down their mortgage?
- 20:57 – Was money spoken about in the childhood home?
- 21:49 – The Great Sushi Lesson…
- 24:18 – Are his parents retired now?
- 24:38 – How was Eric originally managing his money?
- 25:18 – Eric’s Rock Bottom…
- 26:22 – Did he shop around for his first bank?
- 27:21 – Groomed at uni to be a spruiker…
- 29:05 – How much does Ben spend on his “boat shoes”? 😂
- 29:32 – The story of the $50 note…
- 30:23 – When the scarcity mindset actually works in your favour…
- 32:50 – How did he discover The Property Couch?
- 32:57 – Investing for Tax Purposes!
- 34:52 – His initial reaction to The Armchair Guide to Property Investing…
- 35:39 – What changed his mind to finally read our book?!
- 36:13 – What episodes had the most impact on him?
- 37:31 – Using the Money SMARTS system…
- 39:23 – How does the Money SMARTS system change your BEHAVIOUR?
- 40:43 – Do you have to save every penny to trap surplus cash?
- 43:21 – Why “Money For The Sake Of Money” Isn’t A Good Enough Reason…
- 43:46 – What does Eric want to spend his passive income on?
- 45:36 – The Empty Island Syndrome
- 46:13 – Why you don’t want to be another Donald Trump!
- 47:11 – What’s it like getting a Property Portfolio Plan done?
- 47:32 – Status Design vs Lifestyle Design
- 49:46 – Attacking preconditioning from childhood…
- 57:51 – Time & Target: The Two Life-Changing Elements That Make Everything Clear!
- 58:56 – The Train Analogy – Amazing!
Keen to Get Started with Money SMARTS like Eric?
Fill in the form below and create your account on our Money SMARTS Platform now!
Already have an account? Log in here.