A little while ago, today’s guest reached out to us and said this, “I’d really like you to interview an Aboriginal person (I’m one) as I think finance isn’t really our focus.”
And, just like that, the brainchild of this episode was born (Bryce is about to fill you in on how the rest unfolded…)!
Here’s the deal folks… financial literacy and its summit – financial peace – should be inclusive for everyone. So, today we’re walking you through the challenges and opportunities faced by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples when it comes to wealth creation. Because there’s one very special person pioneering the way forward in this space…
Meet Nancia Guivarra; once a “stranger to money”, but now a pioneer for wealth creation!!
Nancia is a Meriam (Magaram), Wuthathi and Bindal Juru woman who was born in Brisbane and raised in Gladstone, Queensland. She has more than twenty years’ experience in media production, communications, entertainment, the arts and government policy. A former journalist, Nancia worked with National Indigenous Television (NITV) and as Head of Communications for the National Centre of Indigenous Excellence in Redfern, Sydney… and she now currently runs her own freelance communications consultancy company Amneris Pty Ltd.
And, yep… Nancia’s also a property investor (she’s bought and sold 5 properties at that!)… and she’s here to improve the financial literacy of Indigenous Australians AND spread the word Why Financial Inclusion Matters…
The Free Stuff
- The Forward-Looking New Closing The Gap Agreement
- Ken Wyatt’s Interview on Closing The Gap on today’s ABS News Breakfast
- Article on SMF: Wealth is a thing you share – An Indigenous view to make us all richer
- The Numbers & New Research: The Deloitte Report
- Stamp Duty Changes for First Home Buyers
- Free Physical Copy of The Armchair Guide to Property Investing
- Free Copy of Make Money Simple Again
What we cover…
- What are the unique challenges faced by Indigenous peoples?
- 7 Schools in 7 Years: Where The Desire For Wealth Creation Came From
- Nancia’s Personal Property Investment Story
- Why Indigenous home ownership makes a difference to us all
- What happened in 1967 around home ownership laws?
- The 20% Deposit Myth – How is it possible to buy a property without a 20% deposit?
- Reconciliation Action Plans – What’s currently in place to support Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders?
- What do the social/economic indicators tell us about Indigenous Australians?
- What makes for a good purchase?
- When does Nancia believe you “make your money”?
- Understanding the Exit Strategy in property investing
- Tips for the 21-year-old self – What would Nancia tell herself?
- A shared economy versus money management
- Nancia’s advice for Indigenous peoples and first home buyers