We repeat! Do NOT land the plane during a storm!!
What do we mean by this…?
Well, in our minds, changing your investment plan due to changing circumstances is kinda like planning a flight and lifting off the runway…
And then hitting stormy weather.
Should you try and land the plan in the middle of the storm?!?
You’ll have to tune in to the episode to find out what we think!! Since it’s a Q&A of course we’re flying this plane over looooads more ground like…
Advice for a 16-year-old property investor?! (It’s fantastic to hear folks are having money conversations around the dinner table!)
Residential vs commercial capital gains tax: where do they differ and how can you make more gains without being taxed like crazy!
Putting property in a trust…or your name?! And what do Ben and Bryce do with their property portfolio?
Plus Ben and Bryce share their top 5 favourite books (well Bryce sneaks in a 6th one 😉) and why they reckon you should give it a go too!!
Read Ben and Bryce’s book list and the full list of questions below! 👇
So if you’re ready, strap in cos we’ve got something for everyone in this episode!!
Questions we Answer
Bee on Buying in a Trust or Your Own Name
Hi Guys, it’s Bee here. We have family trust set up and (weaved?)a few of our investment property in them. We’ve recently gone to a buyers agent and they have mentioned that if it was them, they would forget about the family trust and bond in their own names to take advantage of the land tax threshold. Just wondering could please explain this further.
Anthony on What advice would you give your daughter?
Good day boys, Anthony from Adelaide here.
Well done on the show, you’re doing a cracking job it’s really impressive. I’ve been a longtime listener first time caller. I went back and listened to episodes 1 to 20 as you suggest it’s pretty well captures all the errors of my property investing. Wrong areas, Spruikers, oh dear anyway I guess investing is nonlinear I’m pretty sure next time I’ll invest with you blokes.
My question is, we are family who loves property investing, we talk about it all the time, we have our principal place of residence, we own that out right, we have three investment properties working on our 4th and my daughter would like to get into property, she’s 16 1/2, she’s at school, she got a part time job, she saved up about 12 grand so far, so in about a year she’ll have 20 grand.
My question is, what would you suggest she buys? And what kind of structure would work? So i guess really, if it was your daughter what advice would you give her?
Mark Seaton on CGT on Commercial same as CGT on residential
Hi Guys! Mark is my name and I live in the Southwest Town Country (WA?)
I’ve been listening to your podcast for a couple of years. I haven’t got a everything in place although I do have a PPR and 2 rental properties. One rental property is a fixer upper at the moment which I bought at the start of COVID.
My wife and I have a business and we’ve just purchased a commercial property. I am not sure if this is in your wheelhouse or not but listening to your podcast for the last year, you’ve had people talk about tax and capital gains on residential properties. Is Capital Gains when you fit out a commercial property, the same?
Do you have to keep all of these records and when you sell you property is the fit out cost come off or is that totally separate due to the fact that it’s a business as opposed to a building?
Just like your thoughts on that if it’s even in your wheelhouse. Anyways, thanks guys!
Patrick on Circumstances when you would change your plan
Hi Bryce and Ben.
It’s Patrick here from the Sunshine Coast. I’ve a question around sticking to your plan vs. changing your plan.
Essentially I would like to know what are some special events that might cause you to change your investment plan or are you always better off sticking to the plan for the long term?
For example, there might be a wide range of things like the property doesn’t grow as much as you would have thought or the yield is lower or there’s damage to the property or the holding cost increased significantly?
I would just love to hear you guys have some discussions around navigating that choice to either stick to your plan or change your plan when things don’t work out the way you would like. Thanks!
Sophie on Updated Books we Recommend
Hi Ben & Bryce, Sophie here, loyal listener.
I listened to your podcast previously when you mentioned about books that you recommend.We’ve got some holidays coming up and I was hoping that you could give me a bit of arefresher as to what some of the books are that you recommend.Either property wise or maybe some other (shilady shibumshee?) you’ve been reading recently.Thanks very much love the Podcast. Bye bye.
Bryce and Ben’s UPDATED Top 5-ish Book Lists:
- (Understanding Business) The Personal MBA – by Josh Kaufmann
- (Human Behaviour/Economics) Freakonomics – by Steven D Leviit & Stephen J Dubner
- (Personal Growth) Outwitting the Devil – by Napoleon Hill
- (Money) The Psychology of Money – by Morgan Hausel
- (Life) Shoe Dog – by Phil Knight
- Bonus: American Kingpin by Nick Bilton
- Your Deceptive Mind: A scientific guide to critical thinking skills by Professor Steven Novella
- The Age of AI and our Human Future by Henry A Kissinger, Eric Schmidt & Daniel Hutton Locher
- The Price of Tomorrow by Jeff Booth
- The Little Book of Behavioural Investing by James Montier
- Happy Money by Ken Honda
Free Stuff Mentioned…
- If you’d like help to create a financial plan, check out our financial planners! Book a FREE, no-obligation consultation here.
- To download Corelogic’s Monthly Housing Chart report click here!
- Do you have a question as well? Let us know on SpeakPipe here for your chance to win a Start & Build course!
Here’s some of the gold we cover…
- 0:38 – An Election & a Footy Match: Two big results in one weekend?! (Ben’s very happy with one of them 😉)
- 1:28 – If you’re a new listener or a seasoned listener, listen to this!
- 5:44 – Warren Buffett’s wealth was actually built from…
- 11:05 – Some advice for those thinking of investing now
- 13:30 – A shoutout to the ladies (We want to hear from YOU!)
- 14:12 – Q1 – Buying in a Trust or Your Own Name (The Pros!)
- 18:42 – The Cons!
- 20:00 – Let’s Clarify; we do not have Property in our…
- 24:47 – Q2 – What advice would you give your daughter?
- 26:50 – A couple of options…
- 29:35 – The types + structures we recommend!
- 34:15 – Q3 – CGT on Commercial same as CGT on residential?
- 37:42 – Breaking it down with an equivalent scenario
- 39:48 – CGT on Commercial: What’s different?
- 43:58 – Q4 – Circumstances when you would change your plan
- 45:00 – When you SHOULDN’T change plans (Doing these will halt your wealth…)
- 46:58 – Plans should include S___ testing!
- 47:42 – Should you land the plane during the strorm?!
- 48:57 – Your first strategy should be…
- 50:20 – We don’t usually do this but folks if you need help, check us out!
- 54:50 – Q5 – Books we’d recommend!
- 55:40 – Bryce’s top 5 booklist (*he may sneak an extra one in later 😉)
- 1:00:38 – Ben’s favourite 5 books (+ one lecture series)
- 1:06:24 – Need to make a split decision?! Ask Siri!
- 1:07:25 – Breaking down Corelogic’s Monthly Housing Chart report