Queensland has been through A LOT folks.
With the 2022 floods estimated to cost $2.5B in damage and more than 5,000 homes inhabitable, in the words of today’s podcast guest Antonia Mercorella:
“We are facing a humanitarian crisis in Queensland”
Together, we’ll be unpacking the housing crisis that Queenslanders are waking up to every day, how this added demand will impact the states ALREADY struggling rental system…
And if the name Antonia Mercorella sounds familiar to you – we’re proud to say it’s because she’s a returning guest from Episode 280!!
Antonia is not only the Chief Executive Officer at the Real Estate Institute of Queensland (REIQ), but she’s an accomplished CEO and solicitor with more than 20 years of experience across the real estate and property sectors!
But don’t get us wrong – when we say Queensland’s been through a lot, it’s not all bad!
We’ll be unpacking it from the top, starting with the pandemic when Brisbane’s property market was HOT, and exploring what lifestyle drivers push people to move interstate!
And let’s just say that Antonia makes a very convincing case to move to the Sunshine State 😉 (Hey, we’re halfway to packing our bags).
We’ll also be looking at the State Government’s announcement to potentially introduce land taxes and why it’s a terrible idea!!!
So if you’re interested in what this all means for the future of Queensland’s property market (and the wider Australian market), tune in now!!
Free Stuff Mentioned
- Learn more about REIQ and Q Shelter’s “Help House a Queenslander” campaign
- The 2021/22 Queensland Budget Update
- Queensland’s Residential Tenancy Authority Annual Report
- ME Bank’s research on single women getting into the property market
Here’s what we cover…
- 2:18 – Life is all about choices folks!
- 3:24 – A quick update on what we’re watching…
- 7:10 – Welcome back Antonia!!
- 8:23 – Antonia’s money story: From immigrants to property investors
- 12:40 – The Italian culture and its impact on money values
- 20:45 – Why is Queensland’s market so heated?!
- 28:45 – How gentrification affects the future of a city!
- 30:22 – What is the future of Brisbane’s rental vacancies?
- 36:30 – “Property Investors are tired of being the ATMs for the State”: Why Antonia is against Queensland’s Land Tax!
- 43:56 – Why Ben is also against Queensland’s Land Tax!!
- 47:09 – When Victoria tried to introduce Land Tax (and how that ended up!)
- 50:38 – What life is like for flood-affected Queenslanders
- 54:10 – What does this mean for an ALREADY struggling rental system…
- 55:45 – REIQ and Q Shelter’s “Help House a Queenslander” campaign
- 58:59 – What does the Queensland market need to get out of this crisis?
- 1:01:03 – How will Queensland’s 2022 floods affect its future property market?
- 1:02:47 – Antonia’s predictions for housing demand in QLD
- 1:05:55 – How climate change is changing asset selection!
- 1:10:45 – Bryce’s lifehack for greater productivity!!
- 1:12:19 – Is 2022 the Year of the Unit?
- 1:14:23 – All the single ladies (…are getting onto the property market!)