It was mid-2017 when David List and his wife, Lisa, decided to purchase their first investment property. But a few days into the settlement, and feeling a bit of buyer’s remorse, David did a quick Google-stalk to see what else he should probably know about investing… and that’s when he stumbled upon these two middle-aged larrikins (which turned out to be us!) riffing about property, finance and money management!!
From there, we’d like to think it became an immediate love story with The Property Couch… but, truth be told, that day we completely overwhelmed him, making David feel like there’s way more to “all this” than he first realised… (eek, our bad…)
Thankfully, somewhere along the line we must’ve said something that made sense… because he preserved and quickly got all in gold in the first twenty episodes, which got him up to speed on the fundamentals we’re all about. And one of those fundamentals — one of our Four Pillars of Mastery — was, of course, Cash Flow Management… ie. being smart with your money and knowing exactly where your hard-earned cash goes!!
This set fire to a whole new David and — we’ve gotta admit it — has transformed him into one of the BEST money managers we’ve ever seen! And this transformation has overflowed into almost every other area of his and his young family’s life… including their property story!
So, here in the studio — on our very first episode of 2020 — after putting Money SMARTS to the ultimate test, and coupling it with a money management app where he categorised every single transaction during 2017 – 2018…. well, let’s just say today’s guest has gone through an INCREDIBLE money transformation, folks!!
And just wait ‘til you hear what David — who once upon a time, left the money management up entirely up to Lisa — has brought into the studio, which tracks their ENTIRE financial story!!! (it’s a proud moment, folks! And not just ‘cos he brought us all gifts too, ha!)
Free Resources Mentioned:
- Episode 117 | Everything You Need To Know About Depreciation Changes – Chat with Bradley Beer, CEO of BMT Tax Depreciation: https://thepropertycouch.com.au/ep117-depreciation-changes-bradley-beer/
- Episode 257 | The Exception To The Rule When It Comes To Off The Plan Properties & House And Land Packages: https://thepropertycouch.com.au/ep257-off-the-plan-properties/
- Episode 258 | WARNING: The Unconscious Mental Triggers Property Spruikers Use To Trick You: https://thepropertycouch.com.au/ep258-property-spruikers/
- Episode 259 | Q&A: A Tax-Saving Hack For An Offset Account, The Simplest Way to Keep Track of Your Properties and How To Distinguish “Emotional Value” from “Property Value”: https://thepropertycouch.com.au/ep259-questions-answers-property/
- Make Money Simple Again (FREE Book): www.MakeMoneySimpleAgain.com.au
- 13:02 — the money behaviours and saving hacks that lead to their first investment property!
- 17:00 — how did David get his wife on board with Money SMARTS?
- 23:15 — what happened after he listened to TPC?
- 29:15 — why get a Plan?
- 29:40 — what did his mortgage broker first tell him?
- 34:26 — the mental transformation (not just the $$$ one)…
- 31:35 — why is “the end game” not always about retirement?
- 36:42 — David’s advice for people thinking, “Yeah, but…”
- 42:16 — how should you be paying for a haircut? (What “bucket” does it come out of?)
- 48:42 — anything David would do differently? Why?
- 49:58 — how many properties will it take to achieve $120,000 in passive income?
Keen to Get Started with Money SMARTS like David?
Fill in the form below and create your account on our Money SMARTS Platform now!
Already have an account? Log in here.