What’s a footy oval and a VERY successful investor got in common?
… none other than one gutsy, 72-year-old woman… Susan Alberti!!
For the folks who aren’t quite into AFL like we are, Susan is not only Football Royalty down here in Melbourne — particularly when it comes to the AFL Western Bulldogs Football Club and opening up the sport to women players… but also, Susan has lived an EXTREMELY incredible life… she’s experienced everything from very humble beginnings, unspeakable tragedies, not being able to get a loan as a woman (yep), the heights of true accomplishment (see all of the positions she’s held here – ‘cos there’s more than a few!) and giving back in a way that is profound and unbelievably inspiring — all of which has been documented in The Trailblazing Story of Susan Alberti – The Footy Lady.
She is living proof that hard work, investing and delayed gratification pays off and is, of course, as respected as they come.
To give you an idea, not only is “Sue” one of Australia’s pre-eminent philanthropists, having donated millions of dollars to medical research and other charitable causes — when her only child, Danielle, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and later passed away due to the illness, Sue embarked on a global mission to find a cure, and is now Chair of the Susan Alberti Medical Research Foundation. And earlier, when her first husband was killed by a truck, Susan took over their construction business and discovered firsthand how to survive and prosper in what was very much a man’s world. Oh, and she’s also the 2018 Victorian of the Year, 2017 Melburnian of the Year and 2018 Victorian State Government Outstanding Contribution to Sport Award!
Basically… this woman has stared down adversity of all kinds and prevailed beyond doubt.
So, if you’re like us and are very excited to hear what this wise and wonderful woman has to say about investing and, indeed, life… then you MUST check this episode out, folks!
Also, special shout out to our listener Jill Stewart for suggesting such an awesome guest!! If you’ve got a guest idea yourself, feel free to let us know who you want to hear from HERE 🙂
As usual, there are a few resources today folks! So here goes…
- Escape from the City on iView: https://iview.abc.net.au/show/escape-from-the-city
- Ep. 55 – Investment savvy mortgage broker and why interest rate is not king?: Listen here
- Money Hacks series: Join here
- Ep. 238 – Money & Mental Health: Why there’s more to it than you think… Chat with John Mendoza Director of ConNetica: Listen here
- Australia’s New Banking Code: https://www.ausbanking.org.au/campaigns/new-banking-code/
The Top Things We Talk About >>>
- How exactly did Susan transform herself from humble beginnings to impressive wealth?
- Where did her drive come from?
- How did her first husband Angelo, look at life and work? Why?
- What was the origin of their property story?
- How did Susan and Angelo start their first 16-units development?
- Where did her desire to learn come from?
- How much did her “very own” property cost when she first bought it?
- How did she get a loan when most lenders wouldn’t lend in only a woman’s name?
- How much was she paying interest on the loan?
- How quickly were they growing their development business?
- When did they cross the threshold into financial wealth?
- How did Susan balance grief and running a business?
- Did she have any female peers?
- What does she now think is “true” wealth?
- How has mindset influenced her success?
- When did she get really involved in the Western Bulldogs?
- How long did it take to get women’s AFL over the line? How’d she do it?
- Will there likely be a cure for type 1 diabetes?
- What does Susan regret or would do differently? Why?
P.S. Looking to get a free copy of Susan Alberti’s book, The Trailblazing Story of Susan Alberti – The Footy Lady? Click here and tell us which part of Susan’s story had the most impact on you!