Have you ever wondered if there’s a “right” way – or smart life hack – to pay off debts?
Like is it better to pay off your investment property….before your Principal Place of Residence?! 🤔
Well folks, we have just the Q&A for you today where we tackle this very question and answer: Does this really shave off any debt?!?
At the core of this Q&A is how folks can maximise their opportunities and be money smart…
From renting your home as a holiday house to transferring a negatively geared property to your name, these folks have extremely interesting and niggly questions that we can’t wait to unwrap and sink our teeth into.
Tune in now to get (money) smart folks!
Questions We Answer…
Q1) Tracey Johnston on Transferring Property from Trust to Own Name
Hi, love your podcast and thanks for your advice.
Myself and my husband are in our mid 50’s and retiring in about 10years. We have 3 investment properties and No PPR. One of the IP’s has dual income and its owned in a discretionary trust, but it’s an older property with a few significant repairs and it’s heavily negatively geared.
We’re thinking of moving it to our personal names, given the quarantine of those losses, and we understand it’s a costly transfer, however if the pros and cons, retiring in less than 10 years and quarantining all those loses, we’re starting to think that it may be more advantageous to do it now.
I know you’ve answered a few questions on Trusts, just interested on if there is ever a good situation to transfer.
Q2) Sala on Credit Card Surcharges and Money Smarts
Hi Bryce and Ben,
Thank you for the show. I’ve listened to all 401 episodes and enjoyed every single one of them.
My question is about paying your bill with a credit card with a surcharge vs keeping the money in an offset account for 55 days?
Which option is better?
Q3) Kyle on Renting our home in Ocean Grove whilst you’re on holidays
Hi Bryce and Ben,
Big fan of the podcast, thank you very much for all the contents you guys put out there. Certainly found it very helpful along my journey. I just had question in regards to listing your home on a holiday rental site.
In context, I live in a coastal town in Victoria called Ocean Grove and I’m considering putting my home up for rent while I’m away on holidays myself.
I just wanted to know what you guys think I should consider and any tips you might have?
Thanks again and Go Cats!
Q4) Shannon on Pay off PPOR or Investment Debt First
Hey guys, Shannon here.
Long time listener and first time recorder.I just wanna say thanks to the both of you for the work that you do.
You guys are the reason we made a decision to purchase our 2nd property investment at the start of covid in Frankston in Melbourne. Very scary initially but we’re reaping the rewards now.
My question is once you finished the accumulation phase and you have all the investment properties that you require, at consolidation phase, I know you guys (and lot of you people say) to pay down your Principal Place of Residence first for tax reasons, I wanted to entertain paying down the investment properties first and I’d like to know your thoughts on that.
Free Stuff Mentioned…
- Want to be on The Couch? With the weather warming up we’re starting to plan for our 2022/23 Summer Series!
If you’d like to be a guest, reach out to Stig here (We’d love to hear from you!!).
- Get MoneySMART with our free, online money management platform, Moorr. Sign up or login here.
- Read this Tax Blog – by Julia Hartman on The Top 5 Tax Planning Rules Every Property Investor Must Understand here.
- Listen to Ben’s September RBA Update here.
- Haven’t heard about Queensland’s new Land Tax? Listen to our recent episode where we unpack all the gold here.
- Leave us a Question! Have a problem you don’t know how to solve? Chances are, other listeners are facing the same issue! Ask us on our SpeakPipe now.
Want to work with Bryce & Ben’s Award-Winning Team?
- a roadmap to $2k per week passive income? >> Start a conversation with our Qualified Property Investment Advisors…
- buying an investment-grade property in an investment-grade suburb? >> Start a conversation with our independent and experienced Buyers Agents…
- set up or review of your borrowing strategy? >> Start a conversation with our Investment Savvy Mortgage Brokers…
- your defence implementation? >> Start a conversation with our Financial Planners…
- maximising your tax refund? >> Start a conversation with our Investment Savvy Tax Accountants…
Here’s some of the gold we cover…
- 0:00 – What we’ve got in store for you…
- 1:30 – Bryce isn’t looking forward to this 😉
- 3:49 – Join us on the Couch! How you can be a 2023 Summer Series Guest.
- 7:35 – Are you a Do-er or Dreamer?
- 11:59 – Q1) Transferring Property from Trust to Own Name
- 13:31 – This is a limitation of using a trust!
- 14:28 – The questions Tracey should be asking …
- 16:48 – Weighing up the taxiation benefits vs. the losses
- 17:57 – Why numbers will set you free!!
- 19:47- Our Answer…
- 20:10 – Ben’s Top Tips for those heading into retirement…
- 22:37 – Q2) Credit Card Surcharges vs. Money Smarts
- 23:12 – A little background to this Q….
- 23:49 – Let’s break this down with a case study!
- 27:05 – THIS was the smarter way to go…
- 27:35 – Folks, A_t_ma_ _ _n is the key!
- 29:08 – Q3) Renting our home in Ocean Grove whilst you’re on holidays
- 30:06 – On face value why does it seem like a good idea…
- 31:11 – The CGT impacts!
- 32:01 – What we’d recommend…
- 33:31 – What our tax experts had to say about it!!
- 35:05 – Q4) Pay off PPOR or Investment Debt First
- 36:40 – The 3 Types of Debt
- 38:19 – The argument behind this question…
- 39:28 – Our general rule of thumb!
- 40:59 – How do low Marginal Tax Rates benefit you??
- 41:37 – Investor Loans vs. Personal Mortgages: How the Banks could fill their loan books!
- 43:59– Folks, just wait till you have THIS feeling…
- 44:25 – Paid off my PPOR: What do I do with my surplus now?!
- 45:09 – Don’t invest like this, d_v_ _s_ _instead…
- 48:07 – Got a new phone? Don’t end up like Ben!!
- 52:00 – Is the housing market showing distress?!??
- 53:09 – Folks, interest rates aren’t going up BECAUSE the economy is tanking, its because…
- 53:40 – So why aren’t we seeing mortgage distress? ( + Ben’s future forecast!)
- 55:23 – Vendors are human too!
- 56:57 – Scott Penders sold his property for how much?!
- 57:30 – Upcoming Issue: The Great Renters Tax
- 59:10 – Be on the podcast! Leave us a question on our SpeakPipe!