“Housing markets shouldn’t be leading monetary policy; they’re a response to monetary policy.” — Dr Andrew Wilson
Folks, our guest for this week is Dr Andrew Wilson, Chief Economist at My Housing Market, who is sounding more bullish than bearish when it comes to Australia’s property market and overall economic outlook!
To give you an idea, Dr Wilson provides comprehensive property market insights and is a highly-regarded and prolific housing market speaker, as well as a keynote presenter for the Committee for Economic Development of Australia (CEDA) and an appointed housing market expert and adviser to the Federal Government funded Australian Urban Research Infrastructure Network. He’s also a repeat offender on the Couch, gracing us with his invaluable insights all the way back in Episode 87!
Oh, and of course, he also holds a PhD and Masters by Research in Housing Market Economics. Just sayin’.
So if the uncertainty of the property market is sending your confidence out of whack, let’s go up 30ft around the country and see what’s coming up over that hill. You’ll get a sneak peek at some of the regions that might be worth your attention this year, as well as when the interest rate will potentially drop this year, according to the Chief Economist himself.
Spoiler… the Scare Campaign just might lose its edge!
While we don’t want to take the limelight from today’s guest… we should probably let you know here too…. The Property Couch Turns FOUR this week!! Yep, it’s our 4th Birthday, wooooooo 🙂
To help us celebrate, you’ve all made Make Money Simple Again, our latest money management book, a #1 Best Seller! So thank you for our awesome gift!!!! (According to Ben, “We’re now officially out of nappies.”)
Here’s What You’ll Learn in This Episode…
- What’s Happening Around the Grounds In the Australian Property Market?
- Will confidence shift any time soon?
- What are Auction Clearance Rates in Sydney demonstrating at the moment?
- What are the pressing economic insights coming to light at the moment?
- Why hasn’t monetary policy worked?
- When does Dr Andrew Wilson think RBA might drop the cash rate?
- What p[problems are we facing now?
- What’s going to happen with new developments this year?
- Have we seen the peak of the apartment boom?
- How is an interest rate rise a GOOD thing?
- What’s the current savings-ratio? When was the last time it was this low?
- What must you focus on in order to get a loan approved?
- What does Andrew think about the Royal Commission’s findings?
- How is employment and wage growth feeding into the economic climate?
- How will the international economy affect Australia’s economy?
- What’s Dr Wilson’s message to property investing over the next 2 -3 years?
- Can you expect a roller coaster ride?
- What’s his opinion on the Negative Gearing Policy?
- Are developers in favour of the Negative Gearing Policty? Why/Why not?
- What are the POSITIVES we’re seeing in the market?
- How many auctions were in Melbourne last week? How many sold?
- What will likely be the top performing area this year?
- When’s a good time to think about buying?
We also take a trip around every Australian State and Territory in Australia, so expect to find insights into…
- Predictions for houses and units in each area (GOLD!)
- In and around Sydney
- Melbourne and its regions
- Far North and Central QLD – including, Sunshine Coast, Mackay, Cairns
- Perth (and what the vacancy rates are suggesting)